I know a few of our members have been trialing vegetarian and vegan diets as a much healthier diet option for Menieres. I did myself but have eventually settled on a predominantly plant and fish based diet but including meat in much less quantities than I used to eat.
I always ensure any meat I eat is organic where possible however I appreciate this is an expensive option many can’t afford.
It’s worth being aware of key nutrients you don’t get if you go down the vegetarian or vegan route as you will have to adequately supplement.
The key ones are as follows :
- B12 – which is essential to a healthy immune system
- D3 – crucial to a strong immune system
- Creatine – a key vitamin for energy and muscle strength and brain and memory function
- Carnosine – effects muscle strength
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) – an Omega 3 fatty acid essential for brain function
- Heme Iron – a type of iron only found in red meat. Can lead to iron deficiency and anemia
- Taurine – a sulphur compound which relates to muscle and bile formation and acts as an anti oxident.
Vegetarian and Vegan diets are very healthy but you just need to keep a monitor of nutrients you can only get from animal products.